Tuesday, March 29, 2016

My Research Question

I have chosen to write my argument/synthesis paper on the controversy of using Native American mascots for sports teams.  I have decided to pick this topic because it has many viewpoints and arguments that support both groups that are for or against the use of Native American mascots or symbols in sports programs across the U.S.  While researching this topic, I will attempt to answer the question as to whether or not it is offensive for sports teams to use Native American mascots or symbols.  This question of whether or not the use of such mascots is offensive is important in trying to determine if prejudices are still strongly ignored or whether people advocating for the retirement of "Indian" mascots are just complaining about a topic that really has no impact on their lives, namely those who do not identify with having any indigenous blood.  To appropriately answer my question, I will have to research recent events pertaining to this issue.  It would probably be smart to do some research on the origin of this whole controversy. As far as experts go, I believe that authors of articles and books that deal with the use of Indian mascots among sports teams along with members of Indian tribes that have had influence on the topic would be good sources of "experts" for this topic of argumentation.      

No comments:

Post a Comment