Sunday, April 3, 2016

My worst fear

Everyone has a fear. Many people fear spiders, others fear heights and some fear snakes.  As for me, I have a fear of rodents and more so rats.  I don't know what it is about rats that induce fear into my system. It could be their hairless tails that look like worms moving behind them, the teeth they use to bite with or the squeaking sound they make.  As long as I can remember, I have feared anything that exhibits any one of these so called qualities. The thought of something like that running up my leg or across my feet is giving me the chills right now.  I anyone were ever looking to torture me, just put me in a room full of rats. As we have all heard many times, the best way to overcome a fear is to learn about the object or in my case objects that cause my body to shiver and become scared. I have been able to somewhat become less fearful of the animal by watching videos where people go "ratting" to remove rats from areas with large amounts of waste.  By watching these videos on the internet, I allow myself to imagine what it would be like to take part in such an activity where I am close to the thing I fear the most. I am hopeful that I will outgrow this fear and move on with my life. It's important for me to remember the old saying: "They're more afraid of you than you are of them."



No comments:

Post a Comment