Monday, May 2, 2016

My success with running

Running has been a big part of my life in recent years.  In grade school, I was always one of the fastest kids in the class.  As high school began to approach, I tried to think of a sport that would best suit my talent.  I chose to run as a sprinter on the track and field team the following year. After one season of sprinting, my track coaches encouraged me to run cross country in the fall to keep my body conditioned for the following spring.  At first, I was hesitant but I soon understood that if I wanted to improve my performance, I had to put in some effort during the off season.  I joined the cross country team and ran a time of 22:21 for my first ever three mile race.  I immediately fell in love with cross country and distance running.  As I improved my times one race after another, I began to question as to whether I wanted to run distance or stay with the sprinters in the spring. I made the decision to stay a distance runner and over the next three years, I would improve my three mile time to 17:17.  Of course, as I improved my running, I became a weekly competitor for the top seven team and eventually made it as an alternate for the state cross country meet my senior season.  As a senior, I was also chosen to represent my team as co captain, a position I held with honor.  When the end of my senior track season came to a close, I thought that I would be running cross country in college. I made the decision to focus on my academics. I told myself that I would still run for fun.  That promise was like a New Year's resolution, you do it for a while but then you stop doing it. This summer, I would like to get back into running.  It taught me what patience, perseverance and hard work was all about. I would be a fool to give something like that up.

No comments:

Post a Comment